photo: Miranda Penn Turin
New Orleans based singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Theresa Andersson scored a surprise hit with Na Na Na of her Hummingbird, Go! debut album in 2008. Her new full-length Street Parade is more of the same albeti with a heavy NOLA influence courtesy of handful of woodwind an brass players. The trouble with musicians who can play pretty much anything that most of them should have somebody around to make them stop before they overload the songs with yet another layer of instrumentation. Producer and engineer Tobias Fröberg failed to put his foot down - maybe because he playing various instruments on the album too.
Andersson is operating somewhere between Kate Bush and Tori Amos, without the lyrical vagueness of those two. Street Parade is a failure, a cumbersome selection of tiny songs trying to escape the quest for the grandiose of their composer. Going back to being a one-woman band would be a wise career move.
Street Parade is released on Basin Street Records. Release date: April 24.
- Street Parade
- Listen To My Heels
- Hold On To Me
- What Comes Next (with Peter Morén)
- Fiya's Gone
- Sleepsong For Saoirse
(Theresa Andersson - What Comes Next (w. Peter Moren))
- 03/08 New York, NY @ Joe's Pub
- 04/14 Mobile, AL @ Callaghan’s Irish Social Club
- 04/15 New Orleans, LA @ Woldenberg Park - French Quarter Festival - Abita Stage
- 04/18 New Orleans, LA @ Lafayette Square (Free Show)
- 05/04 New Orleans, LA @ JAZZ FEST
- 05/30 Vancouver, BC @ Media Club
- 05/31 Seattle, WA @ Triple Door
- 06/02 Portland, OR @ The Mission Theater
- 06/04 San Francisco, CA @ Swedish American Hall
- 06/07 Los Angeles, CA @ The Troubadour