photo: © Amy-Beth McNeely
It's was the ultimate fuck you statement when Lou Reed handed his mastertapes of Metal Machine Music to his record company - four sidedsof noise that was released on a gatefold vinyl double LP. The album disappeared within weeks after its release, but proved to be highly influential. Ulrich Krieger, member of the Berlin avant-garde ensemble Zeitkratzer transcribed the whole thing in 2002 and they performed it live, inviting Reed to join them - a live CD/DVD was released in 2007.
Ulrich and Reed formed the Metal Machine Music Trio with whizkid Sarth Calhoun, playing improvised music and releasing a couple of live albums in 2008.
And now they bring the show to Europe, not playing Metal Machine Music once again, but using it as a stepping stone for "a night of noise".
Lou Reed: electric & processed guitars & mini continuum
Ulrich Krieger: saxophone & electronics
Sarth Calhoun: live processing & continuum fingerboard
- 04/17 The Cambridge Junction, Cambridge, UK
- 04/18 O2 Academy, Oxford, UK
- 04/19 Ether Festival, Royal Festival Hall, London, UK
- 04/21 La Cigale, Paris, France
- 04/22 Ancienne Belgique, Brussels, Belgium
- 04/24 DR Koncerthuset, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 04/26 Sentrum, Oslo, Norway
- 04/27 Ole Bull Scene, Bergen, Norway
- 04/30 Teatre Principal de Palma, Mallorca, Spain
Metal Machine Musicre-release
Cash from chaos? You bet:
To coincide with the European tour dates, Lou Reed will release a newly re-mastered edition of the original 1975 Metal Machine Music album on 180 gram double gatefold vinyl, Audio DVD and Blu-ray. Each format features a stereo reproduction of the original quadraphonic master, playable on home theatre systems.
HCTF review of the Lou Reed/Zeitkratzer: Metal Machine Music live CD/DVD.